This is the perfect summer lunch. Really amazing. It’s supposed to be Buffalo mozzarella on sourdough, but I just used regular mozzarella on wheat. Whatever, it was delicious. Adapted from a recipe by Sophie Dahl (model and granddaughter of author Roald Dahl).
Thick slice of crusty bread, 1/2 small fennel bulb herby tops reserved, 1/2 small zucchini (yellow or green), handful mint leaves, 1/2 orange skin cut off and cut into thin rounds, juice of 1/2 a lemon, extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper, 1 garlic clove cut in half, 1 ball of mozzarella (buffalo if you can find it, regular is fine too).
1. Heat a griddle pan until very hot
2. Toast bread on both sides so it has the griddle marks on it
3. While the bread is toasted, thinly shave the fennel and zucchini into a bowl
4. Tear up mint leaves and add to bowl
5. Add the thinly sliced orange and juice of half a lemon
6. Add some oil and season with S&P
7. When the bread is toasted, rub with side of a a piece of garlic and drizzle with olive oil
8. Tear the mozzarella in half and place on bread. Add the zucchini and fennel salad to the top. Sprinkle with a few fennel tops and any remaining liquid in the salad bowl.
9. If I had any white wine I would have had a glass with this lunch! Maybe a nice chilled white burgandy…